The ride to Windsor took forever, we were kicking ourselves for not taking the train. We always take the train, but today we were itching to blast the ipod in the car and I wanted to see some of the English countryside. Not much countryside, just a whole lotta traffic jam.
To keep us busy on our trip there I made Dom and I berry smoothies. They were a mix of fresh raspberries, blueberries, banana, ice and milk.
I also brought some extra berries along for the ride.Once we got there we took a little stroll around. We didn’t have time to tour the inside of the castle, we’ll have to go back for that another time. It sure did look amazing from the outside.We were waiting for our friends Bronwyn and Christian to arrive so we went for lunch on a patio by the river. Dom had a burger and I had an amazing salad. There is a serious lack of really creative salads.
My salad had:
- roasted hazelnuts
- green beans
- rocket (arugula)
- polenta croutons
- 1lb 2oz mussels
- 1lb 2oz whole clams
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 2oz white wine
- 1 lemon, juice only
- small bunch flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 14oz whole wheat linguine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4oz single cream
*you can substitute the shellfish for diced veggies, I recommend eggplant, zucchini or mushrooms. You can also omit the cream.
- Clean the mussels and clams in cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded saucepan, and add the garlic and chilli. After a minute or two, add the mussels and the wine. Cover with the lid and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, or until the mussels and clams open.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and cream. Remove the pan from the heat and add the roughly chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in lightly salted boiling water for 7-8 minutes, or until al dente. Add the pasta to the pan with the shellfish sauce, mix together well and serve immediately.